Saturday, June 16, 2018

Anger is a choice

"A soft answer turneth away wrath:
but grievous words stir up anger."
—Proverbs 15:1

Solomon, the wisest man in the world, said, "He that is slow to anger is better than the mighty; and he that ruleth his spirit than he that taketh a city" (Proverbs 16:32). Those are pretty strong words! The Apostle Paul admonished us: "But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth" (Colossians 3:8).

Anger is a choice—a decision we make. We can choose to control it or we can choose to let it run wild. It can damage relationships, putting us in danger at work, at school, with authorities and especially at home, with those we love most.

Decide now to put an end to anger. Pray this prayer:

Heavenly Father,

Without your help, I will never win this battle with rage. But your Word says, “I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.”

I am counting on your strength to help me ward off anger. I renounce it in Jesus’ Name. I repent of holding on to anger and giving the devil a foothold in my life and relationships.

I am determined to follow your Word, to study it, memorize it, meditate on it, and declare it until you have renewed my mind, giving me the mind of Christ – a mind at peace with God, at peace with myself, and at peace with others. This is possible only through the shedding of your blood, the atoning of my sin on the Cross, for which I am eternally grateful.

I submit myself wholeheartedly to your grace and forgiveness. Teach me to be your disciple. Give me godly leaders to follow and a Church Body to walk alongside. I receive from you the ability to put away anger!

In Jesus’ Name, Amen!

Read more at Beliefnet.

42832: Anger Is a Choice Anger Is a Choice
By Tim LaHaye & Bob Phillips / Zondervan

Whether you fear your own rage or that of others, discover how to keep anger under instead of in control. Best-selling authors LaHaye and Phillips provide "Anger Inventory" and other exercises that offer healing for damaged relationships. Understand where anger comes from, how it does or doesn't show, and what you can do about it. Paperback. Learn more.

More help with anger management

No comments:

Post a Comment